Hats!

I have been crocheting hats galore! The Granny Stripes hat is a free pattern from Yarnspirations. The Galilee hat and Castaway hat are based on Mamachee patterns. The Nordic beanie is a based on a My Rose Valley pattern. I have one more hat to make then I think I might be done with hats for a bit!

The Granny Stripes I made with Stylecraft Special DK yarn in Graphite, Silver, Midnight, Petrol & Mustard. I used a 4mm hook (I think!) & 3.5mm for the ribbing as the pattern is for a worsted weight yarn and Stylecraft Special DK is light worsted. People had commented the pattern came up big so I guessed that it would be about right.

Minky’s Nordic Beanie is based on the Mamachee Galilee hat. I made the Teen/Adult size up to Round 7 using Stylecraft Special DK yarn and a 4mm hook (to fit a 10 year old) to get a basic beanie shape. Then I based the pattern on the My Rose Valley Nordic hat.

Rnd 8 – (color A) Ch 2, dc in same st, dc in next 4, 2dc in next st, (dc in next 5, 2dc in next) around, join. (70)
Rnd 9 – (color A) Ch 2, dc in same st, dc in next 4, 2dc in next st, (dc in next 5, 2dc in next) around, join. (70)
Rnd 10 – (colour B) Ch 1, sc in each st around, join. (70)
(Ch 1 at beginning of each following round, – doesn’t count as a stitch, Ist stitch of round into same stitch)…
Rnd 11 – (colour C) sc, Ch 1, skip next, around
Rnd 12 – (colour B) 2sc in each ch sp, around
Rnd 13 – (colour D) dc in each st around
Rnd 14 – (colour E) 2dc into same stitch, skip next, around
Rnd 15 – (colour B) 2dc in space, skip next, around
Rnd 16 – (colour E)  2dc in space, skip next, around
Rnd 17 – (colour D) dc in each st around
Rnd 18 – (colour B) sc in each st around
Rnd 19 – (colour C)  sc, Ch 1, skip next, around
Rnd 20 – (colour B) 2sc in each ch sp, around
Rnd 21 – (colour A) dc in each st around
Rnd 22 – (colour A) dc in each st around
Rnd 23 – (colour E) sc in each st around.

The Castaway hat is crocheted mainly in back loops and although I love the final effect of the ridges, it was a bit slow going. I used James C Brett Marble DK in MT18 and a 5mm hook (I think). In the pattern it has a repeated “slouch” round (Round 10) but I substituted a rounds of doubles instead, then when I got to Round 22 I continued in doubles and began to reduce to create a beanie shape.

 

 

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

Advertisements

Autumn linocut prints

These are the first linocut prints I have done for many years. I wanted to create a couple of different Autumnal designs to make cards for all the birthdays we have around this time of year. I bought a little Essdee kit with a proper bayer (I seem to have managed without one previously). The kit also came with some soft cut lino which was so much easier to use than the tough stuff I have used before. I ordered some of my favourite Elle Erre card from Soho Papers (my local craft shop used to sell this card but no longer does). The texture of the card looks great with the printing. I am looking forward to making some Christmas cards next.

Mending

Mending these pairs of jeans is something I’ve been meaning to do for a while – since I went wore through the knee of one pair then tripped over while out walking and ripped the knee of another pair on a rock. I came across Sashiko – Japanese embroidery and the idea of Boro – mended and patched textiles, on Pinterest. I loved the idea – and look, so gave it a go on the first pair. Then while researching on Pinterest I came across some lovely embroidered patched jeans, so decided to try this too. I looked in all of my local haberdashery shops for Sashiko thread but ended up ordering it online from Japan Crafts along with needles and a coaster kit to try out. I am not sure how these will wash and wear but for now, I am really pleased with the result.

Crochet season

September marks the start of the crochet season for me. I don’t generally crochet much in the summer, but when the season starts to turn and the evenings start drawing in, the urge to crochet hits me! I really wanted to start a new project this week and decided to crochet a simple cleaning cloth to ease me back into it. The stitch I used is either linen or moss stitch – I used this tutorial then added a border and hanging loop. I also went to my local “Crochet and cuppa” group for inspiration – and a chat!

Summer update

We’ve had a busy summer holiday visiting family, camping and on the beaches of the South West. I haven’t had much time for creating – I sewed this case for my sunglasses, made a Scottie dog card for Minky’s birthday and spent ages sewing badges on her badge blanket. This job has been on my “to do” list forever so it is great to be able to cross it off – although her brother has loads more badges and I have yet to start his!

SaveSave

Bedroom Makeover

We have been redecorating and refreshing Minky’s bedroom with a new animal theme. The walls have been painted a soft grey and the new bed linen features a french bull dog print. I have been busy making a huge fluffy bean bag to create a cosy reading corner and I bound the remaining fleece to make a warm blanket. I also made a couple of cushions, a storage basket and a fabric covered picture using cool sausage dog fabric.

Spring things

Spring has definitely arrived so here is a round up of my makes over the past couple of months. This is the second Mamachee’s Galilee Hat I have crocheted, experimenting a bit with the pattern, gauge and colour. The Two Zip Hipster bag from Dog Under My Desk was quite time consuming to sew but the pattern was easy to follow and I am really pleased with the result. The mess of cables around the house was driving me mad so I made a few of these cable tidies. Now I need to make loads more! The crochet flowers are from patterns by Attic 24 and are work in progress…